Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Belly Full of Blues, Jukin' with de Blues, Catbone Unreleased Kicks Off Its Anthology Series


The blues are back. But then again they never left. Catbone Unreleased has compiled a bunch of anthologies of classic blues and today we take a peek at one of them, Belly Full of Blues, Jukin' with de Blues (Catbone Unreleased 2004-2). Now the label name would lead you to suspect that all the cuts here have never been released, at least in the takes given. I am not entirely sure of that but it is excellent music either way. The sequence of cuts listed on the back cover is out of order, but at any rate there are some gems by John Lee Hooker, James Cotton, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Little Richard and Tina Turner, and some cuts by lesser known blues persons or persons not primarily associated with the blues these days (Peter Frampton), or things that aren't quite the blues (Jack Millman's "Polka Dots and Moonbeams". "Sweet Sixteen" sounds like it's BB King and not Howlin' Wolf as the back cover states. There are a few other glitches as well.

What's great here is great! There are few that are less great. The good (great) outweighs the lesser though...

4 comments:

  1. This USA great piece of work from this labe. Not your usual wannabe crap. These Gus have real deal. You turned me onto this label a few weeks ago. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. As you stated these were out of sequence, I was a little bit perturbed about that, but after I listened, many they were great. So can't complain. I did contact
      The guys at Catbone, they told me when the pressing company put them ion for pressing, that was the problem. I might add these guys offered to return my payment but, I do love this, and they seemed to be genuine people. So I said I enjoyed it either way. But very accommodating and you reach them with no run around hassles or automated answering. This day and time that is worth it all to me.

      Delete
  3. Hey Johnny,

    Thanks for chiming in. Yeah I understand they will be correcting the problem with the new pressing. Glad they were cool with you. In the end there are some hot cuts there and I'm glad to have a copy myself. Happy you are digging it. Music is the healing force!
    Grego

    ReplyDelete